- Ah that’s really sweet! Thank you so much! When you guys send us messages like this it makes us giddy about each other too!
- We really only cosplay characters we are very much attached too. And while we do love Sokka, Yue and Toph, we have stronger connections to other characters in the series.
- Wood, styrene, or even layered chipboard or poster board would work great!
- Oh awesome!! We’re pretty sure, unless we land us some big enough money to head to Anime Iowa instead!
- Oh hey! What a cool coincidence! And thank you! Hope to see you at Saboten again this year!
- That should be fine, you just need to make sure your wig color is exactly like your partners hair color, or else it may look a bit obvious.
- WE WISH! As of right now though, nope. :(
- Pretty much the same thing. We both went to conventions and we awed by cosplayers and wanted to try it out! It wasn’t awhile until Sylar actually did, when he met Sheila who had done a few costumes on her own.
- That sounds like a job for papermache and paperclay! I would build a wire net form of your mask, paper mache it, sand it down and then smooth the surface with paperclay. I’ve seen amon masks done this way too! Unless you want to go a traditional route with steaming and sewing leather.
- We would love to do comics— there just arent any characters we are highly attached to. And we want to do characters we love. At the most, Sylar has thought of being The Riddler from the Arkham City game. And Loki from the avengers movie…
- Sylar uses some of his own hair plus a curly extension. Really it just depends on what YOU want to use. Your own hair, an extension, or a wig could work! We just thought making a hairline for Tahno’s wig would be a hassle. And his hair was already a good length.
- THIS WAS AMAZING THANK YOU!!!! I LOVE FANFIC LINKS IN MY ASK BOX!!! <3<3
- I think common interests are pretty important in any relationship. You need to be able to relate to each other. And OOOHH Yeah, Sylar not being a cosplayer would probably change our relationship completely. I probably wouldn’t cosplay as much. And we may not be as close as we are now. Its a big part of how we connect to each other and experience on another.
- Here on Tumblr? Honestly Anon I could make a whole post about it — and it still wouldn’t be fair to everyone I miss. Theres tons of amazing and phenomenal cosplayers on here. I’ll see if I can make a master post about it.
- We met at a convention! And thank you!
- We’re pretty sure we’re going to TuCon. We are hoping to hit up Anime Iowa — But we may not have enough money. In which case Tucon it is!
- In LoK? Or in any series? Pretty much any cosplay we do together is our ship for that show. But in LoK we also ship Irohsami. Sylar ships Amorra, and sheila likes the idea of Borra.
- She’d keep it a suprise right up until she put her hands on his forehead. He’d freak out and then cry sorta — he’d be so happy he’d start bending like crazy. They would ensue in an adorable and fun and overjoyed water splashing fight and Tahno would be so beside himself he’d kiss her. And they’d hit the beach shore and start making out in joy.
- Commissions open up late August! Early September!
- Beginner Advice here!
- I’m not sure who Britney is — but whether you call it pretty, handsome, or gorgeous, Sylar being extremely attractive will never bother me. :)
- Sylar actually goes to school in an Academy that teaches VO classes. So its the same cost as any college university. He goes to San Fransisco Academy of Art in an Acting major. He choose this school specifically because its one of the only to teach VO classes.
- Ahhh you need to learn about interfacing! Which is something used when needed to make fabric thicker. You can sew it in between two pieces of the thin fabric!
- OH GOD WE WANT TO GO TO CANADA SO BAD!
- Yep! There’s a zipper in the back that zips all the way up!
- For Grell we bought black boots like these and the fabric painted the red on! Or you can buy these.
- If we like him enough! But we gotta wait to get to know his character. We aren’t really sold on design alone.
- You cam read exactly how I made it here. Really its just all craft foam work that’s glued straight onto the suit! really the hard part is cutting out the shapes. But even if that’s off the look is all in the paint job, which you can find a tutorial of on that page.
- We will be posting more videos and doing more livestreams. We are in a downtime right now after con/costumes season. But we’ll be busy again this next week!
- Nnnnooope! Sheila speaks no spanish. Shame!
- Honestly aside from Tahorra — we don’t care what the rest of the world ships. We’re okay with Bosami (we dont really care either way.) We’re too busy partying on the SS Tahorra to have any other shipping input.
- Personally I would buy a Yoruichi wig, and lower the clip on ponytail to the base of the wig and braid it! Because the style is perfect.
- Thats awesome!! WELCOME ABOARD!
- Ehhhh we respect it as a ship, but we don’t pay much attention to it. We prefer Tahorra, because we see flaws in that ship we don’t take to.
- Hot glue and then Vinyl adhesive! But the super glue and E6000 should work great too!
- Nope! No one has ever walked in on our private time.
- Nope! I don’t think they’ll ruin anything! Peircings aren’t as noticeable as you think. And remember — cosplay is for you not for anyone else. It doesn’t matter whether or not your accurate because you are your only true judge. And I guarantee that everyone will realize that you are YOU first and your cosplay second. We can all be sympathetic so some piercings.
- Yes! Steve Blum, Stephen Fry, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, Ali Hillis, Gideon Emery, and Grey DeLisle are some of our favorites. Also Rami Malek — because Tahno.
- You can watch all our Livestreams here — and watch all our youtube videos here.
- AHAHHA NOOO!! Its spreading!!
- Honestly cosplay is a hands on learning experience. There are tons of tutorials to help you make specific things — but the general basics are interpretive. The best advice we can give you is our beginners advice.
- We actually have done Cosplay groups before. And in our experience they can get very stressful very quickly. What with everyone running on their own build times and making things differently. It sucks to take a fun hobby and tie it to an obligation. So normally what we do is make our own plans and if they happen to coincide with others — we are more than happy to come together for a photoshoot or hanging out together at a con!
- Thank you so much!! That means a lot to us! Honestly, we don’t know of any other COUPLE cosplays, besides maybe Iroh-Sami!
- Con Etiquette is — always ask for a photo. Honestly 90% of the time everyone will say yes! And when you ask, you’ll get a photo. Sometimes people are busy on their way somewhere and they’ll decline. But its not a big deal. Just make sure to leave cosplayers alone if they are standing in a corner talking on a phone, fixing their costume, or eating. Obvious ‘im not ready for a photo’ stances. Chances are they will be there all day, or you can find pictures of them online. OR you CAN jump into a photo circle. At bigger cons a group of people will all be taking pictures of one cosplayer and then its okay to just run over and get a shot too without saying anything.
- All the social sites to check our updates and tags and messages. Facebook, DeviantArt, Twitter, Tumblr and our Gmail. Sylar checks up on Wikias too. Like the Avatar, Skyrim and LoL wikia — and Sheila checks all the fanfictions she follows.
- Paper mache + Paperclay is exactly what I used for my bow to make a new body for it. If your toy bow is already perfect you can just spray paint it directly!
- Sheila wants little boys and Sylar wants at least 1 little girl. Sheila fancies old names. Like Dante, Regulus, Lucian, Ambrose — and Sylar wants to name his daughter Crysinthia,
- Sure if she was fine with it! Though really anon, it was just a very short cute prompt about us making our Korra teaser video.
- I would say she is definitely wearing a skirt. Or it could be a dress!
- I think some of the people we follow roleplay, at least it looks like it — but we dont actively follow any for their roleplaying or follow roleplay blogs.
- Do you mean makeup as in face makeup — or as in posing tips to flatter your figure? Either way, here’s my favorite makeup tips on cosplay and heres my favorite pose tutorial! Theres not too much on flatter your body — but thats up to you. Just like everything else PRACTICE is key. Go ahead and get vane and stand in front of the mirror for awhile and get to know your body. Practice striking those poses so when the camera comes your pose is instinctual.
- Glad to see we motivated you!! Haha, but we do get into tight unmotivated times ourselves too! OTL
- Allow me to direct you to MeltingMirror’s Mercedes cosplay. She describes the general material she used for the costume and her gallery maps out how its done! You can also hit her up and ask questions, she’s seriously amazingly nice and very talented.
- You can actually buy trafalgars hat for super cheap! And here’s the start to my favorite japanese katana making tutorial. It is however all woodworking. And if your not comfortable with that, you can always buy a plastic toy jaoanese katana and repaint it to look like Trafalgars.
- Honestly no one will know your skin like you do. And what works for me may not work for you. My best advice is to get to know your skin. Head to a makeup store like Sephora or Ulta and talk to one of the ladies there. They are trained to understand skin and makeup effects. Let them know what your looking for and what you skin is like. Oily? Lots of acne? Any Allergies? Dry? Flaky? They can then direct you to oil free or oil based foundations — creme or liquid or even foam. But talking to someone in the know about all skins will help you. Then ask them specifically what brand is best for you commercially (because they will try to get you to buy the expensive stuff.)
- Do you mean chain mail? Well, there’s always the poor mans chainmail! That’s what I used for my Hawke chainmail. This also works wonder with sequence leggings or shirts. Then there’s the pop tab chainmail too!
- My word of advice is — who cares! I know a lot of brace faced cosplayer and they are all amazing, and the braces won’t matter to us in the face of the entire costume. At most — you could simply not open mouth smile. Sheila used to wear braces, which is why her natural smile is close lipped and no one seems to notice. So really, you will be just as beautiful as anyone else. And most people know that you are still you first and you character second.
- Really it does get expensive. But making isn’t the expensive part. That we can get away with by buying materials at good will and finding cheap shortcuts. Its the conventions that are most expensive. because that food, travel, gas, hotel and etc expenses all in one weekend. Sylar and I do have part time jobs and Sheila does commissions to make ends meet too. Also, I’m a propmaking student so a lot of the time I can get a costume to qualify as a school project and write off my art supply cost.
- As with all material and fabric advice — the best is what you want to interpret the costume as. Though making her boots and cloak out of fake leather would be pretty cool since it looks like a Van Hellsing duster. As for her weapons. She has a huge ass spear thing that I will link you to here. And then a arm cross bow? For that I recommend walking down the aisles of home depot and checking out the gadgets that may look like that. Like buying a set of small back window wipers that you can alter onto a glove. etc etc…
- At the moment, the only online game Sylar plays is League of Legends. His username is Sanguinaire. Sheila plays Mass Effect 3 online (origin - pc) her origin name is sAicosu.
- Thank you so much anon! we try really hard to get through the all with detailed answers, but as you can tell it takes a while!
- Now fursuits are something way outta my league. BUT! I can recommend you to thebroken! — who I met at Anime Expo this year, she made a GORGEOUS Naga costume that I took pictures with and she was extremely nice. I’m sure she could maybe help you out!!
For #7, good material for padding in upholstery foam, found in joann fabrics stores - it’s typically in the back and is green, used for lawn chairs, cushion padding and so on. It’s also available at walmart except there it’s a lower density and is a white-ish color, still by…
- OTP means one true pairing. And shipping means — you actively invest in one couple over another. You don’t have to actively ship your OTP but normally everyone does. Or you can ship multiple couples but have one OTP.
- Yes! You can still send them in to us at tumblr or our email — we’ll be doing a big thank you post soon!
- Sheila’s beginner advice!
- We actually don’t watch Dr Who, and have never seen an episode. We don’t know anything about it!
- Craft Foam!
- Temp spray is great if you dont have a wig and you need it in a jiffy the day of a con — but generally it doesnt look so great. It crunches up your hair like gel, and its very obvious its not your hair color. I always recommend a wig if you can help it.
- Alright crash course tips— GO! Overestimate how much money you will need. Always try to bring more than necessary. DONT FORGET TO DRINK WATER AND EAT. Everyone does. Buy top ramen and snacks and instant foods to bring to your hotel because Convention food is EXPENSIVE. The worst is blowing your money on food when you can blow it on dealers room stuff.
- Yes of course! Currently we are in AZ but Sylar will be back in San Fran in September! Or you can mail it to us!
- You can read all about how we made Sylar’s Fenris here — and find some tips on using Craft Foam for the armor too.
- Awww thank you so much anon! I’m sure we had a blast talking to you too! And hopefully we can meet again sometime and get to know each other better!!
- Well their awesome of course!! We loved them both individually before we started shipping them!
- Sylar has quite a few exes and we hang out with some of them, if not all. But we are on good terms with everyone!
- Sheila is Spanish-Mexican and Austrailian.
- Are you talking about the PV with her in the devil wings and horns with the pink and black stripes? Mostly, that costume is just some colorful clothes. You could probably find most of it at Goodwill and the rest from online. Or I would recommend sitting down at Joanns and going through pattern you could use to match the costume!
- My dad taught me how to sew! We buy wigs from various sellers on ebay but we can help you if you tell us what wig your looking for specifically! And Sylar would love to do Mephistos english voice from Ao No Exorcist!
- YES! Awesome! maybe we’ll bump into each other, or better yet — work with each other someday very soon!
- Most likely! Yes!
- Movie props — all the way!
- YES I DO! I have the biggest hips I swear. Its so annoying. Normally, I feel better by trying to buy more slimming clothes. And having a boyfriend that tells you how great you looks WITH big hips does help. But really, its just a hardcore shopping chore to find something that flatters you. I promise though once you do. Pencil skirts are awesome for this — you will feel amazing.
- Nope, we never notice it. But Sheila also doesn’t drink, or go out to places Sylar can’t because shes not interested in doing those regardless.
- Not yet but hes in school for it! Yes! LA is is! Sheila is in Illustration which is mostly a 2D focus, but its the best place for replication arts like hers too. SHE LOVES her school.
- Darling is the most common. We also call each other by our characters names, Korra, Tahno, Fenris, Hawke, etc etc. And Sheila calls Sylar ‘Lulu’ more than she calls him ‘Sylar.’ Lulu is what Shirley calls Lelouch in Code Geass, our first cosplays together as a couple. It just stuck.
- So long as you match the skirt fabric to what you use for the tail you should be fine! Then you sew the bottom of the tail to your dress and take a string from the upper end of the tail and attach it to the top part of your dress or top so your tail sticks up!
- We are indeed going to both!
- Daww thank you! Thats always really nice to hear, especially when I feel insecure being Korra.
- Hazama & Tahno are Sheila’s favorites of Sylars. He loves her Azula, Korra, and Celty. And we are both excited for each others League of Legends cosplays!
- Ben Nye is what I recommend, all the way! Specifically the creme colors. But you WILL need a sealer.
Slow down a bit on the questions!
I’ve got 22 questions sitting in the ask box, and counting, and it’s starting to scare me!
Actually — once I clear the ask box, will be turning it off for the rest of the weekend.
I adore you all and you know I really love helping you out, but I really, really want/need to get my Nightingale armor done. And I hate leaving you guys hanging for days.
So once I clear the box tonight, it will be closed until Karliah’s done. Which should be on Sunday.
Which will also help me from procrastinating.
Sorry for the incoming answer spam! Ready your Tumblr Savior’s!
Just a quick reminder guys…
If you have a question for us, please send it to our ask box, not our fan mail. We can’t respond to you this way!
We don’t mind if you are anonymous or not, but please send your questions to the ask box. Fan mail is if you do not want us to respond, or you are just saying hello or what not.
If you have sent a question via fan mail, it will be deleted! Please re-send it to our ask box!